|Construction Site Safety
The purpose of this SOP is to
identify imminent danger situations or hazardous operations that can
occur at construction site
projects and client
sites where construction activities may be occurring. Contractors
work under contract to NCDENR, as well as construction worksites
where DENR employees provide consultative services and inspections are
required to comply with all applicable provisions of the North Carolina
Occupational Safety and Health Standards for the Construction Industry.
The following safety issues must be noted and where applicable complied
with by those involved.
||Slip, Trip and Fall
|Hostile Irate Clients
DENR Employee Awareness
- DENR employees who work on or around construction sites
shall be made aware of these and any other division/office/program
construction site specific plans and safety issues by their respective
Basic Precautionary Safety
Measures for Construction Sites
- Conduct a hazard assessment upon arrival.
- Ensure that you park in an area that minimizes the need to
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment consistent
with the hazard, i.e., visibility, noise, dust.
- Avoid walking and working under suspended loads. Hard hats
must be worn when working in proximity to backhoes, cranes, excavators,
- Note changing conditions in the area around where you are
working and adjust your work as necessary.
- Wear proper clothing consistent with the site conditions,
weather and temperature.
For corrective action when the contractor is non compliant in
these safety areas, refer to the contract, and/or your
guidelines concerning what action you need to take to notify your
- Safety railing meeting the requirements of 1926.451
is required on all
substructure and superstructure false work more than 4' above the
- On operations more than 6' above the ground where the
fall protective measures is impractical, fall protection shall consist
of the use of harnesses and lanyards. (Effective 1/1/98, safety
can no longer be used as fall protection, but can be used as
- Lifting hooks shall be equipped with operable safety
- All accessible areas within the swing area of the
of the crane shall be blocked out.
- When used to hoist personnel, the personnel basket
shall meet OSHA
requirements. Cranes shall be equipped with controlled
load lowering and a two block damage prevention devices.
- All equipment with an obstructed view to the rear
shall be equipped
an audible backup alarm or a "spotter" shall be utilized when operated
- Protective systems meeting the requirements of
1926.652 shall be used
all excavations, such as pipe trench (storm drain, under drain, and
undercut, drainage structure, boring, foundation, and retaining wall.
|General SOPs - Chapter 25
||Various Inspection SOPs-- Chapter 26b
|Excavating, Trenching and Shoring -- 26e
|Equipment SOPs -- Chapter